Monday 31 December 2007

Comments on comments

All the comments to my posts are appreciated. Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Yes, I missed seeing my granddaughter and the rest of my family for christmas but did have a nice time with Danny and friends. Looking forward to seeing them all in May.

Aubrey--I didn't really learn to cook anything at the VSO 'cooking class' except for chapatis (a bread). We were put to work peeling and slicing mostly. The food was fantastic - pumpkin, matoke, beans, various vegetable dishes, g-nut sauce (peanut sauce), salads. They also cooked beef and chicken but I've learned that when they are cooked the traditional Ugandan way the meat is so tough it rips your teeth out! As for my favourite Ugandan foods, I'd have to say the fresh pineapple and avocados. I enjoy matoke with bean sauce but dooubt that I'll miss it when we return home.

Most of the food at our holiday accommodation is good but the staff is on 'African time' - it can take 1 - 1.5 hours to get your meal after ordering. So we've learned to order well ahead of any hunger pangs.

No comments: