Monday 16 June 2008

Cultural Differences

Even after nearly 9 months in Uganda I am still astounded by the differences in our cultures. It still stops me in my tracks when someone asks a question or makes a comment that I don't know how to explain. A few of these are:

  • Why do you read books if you are not studying? This is not a book culture so it is difficult for most Ugandans to understand that people read for pleasure or to gain knowledge that isn't required for work or school.
  • What was the 'bride price' given for your (Danny's) daughter when she married? Generally in Uganda (outside the capitol) it is a number of cows given to the bride's family by the groom's.
  • Explaining what the christmas holidays are like in the US and UK, especially all the lights and decorations.
  • The fact that not all Western households have a maid (housegirl). There was a surprised reaction when I told someone that nearly all households, even poor ones, have a washer and dryer and that many have dishwashers. The housegirls here live in the house with the family and their meals are provided. But they work 7 days a week doing all types of work - washing clothes (by hand); ironing everything with a charcoal iron; cooking by charcoal or wood; gardening including digging, planting, harvesting and bending over pulling weeds for long hours; chopping wood; slashing the grass; sweeping; taking care of the children; etc. In our area the typical pay for a housegirl is 20,000 shs a month, the equivalent of $12. As spoiled mzungus we spend more than this on our Sunday lunch buffet at the hotel near town.
  • Trying to explain that other countries have 4 distinct seasons. Uganda is the same all year round except for more rain at certain times.
  • I told someone that Danny does the cooking because he enjoys it and is a better cook than I. I do the cleaning up. I was informed that it would be a source of shame for a Ugandan woman if she did not do all the cooking.
  • Attempting to explain a wireless network. I am able to sit in our house and print to the college computer room printer. A staff member I had typed something for was gobsmacked by this.
  • Explaining that I was listening to audiobooks on my Ipod.

7 comments:

leigh said...

I'd like a houseboy. Or, failing that, a manservant. LOL.

I wonder how the term 'cloud of midgies' would go down in Uganda.

Annie said...

A houseboy, eh? There are some very muscular young men here that I see working in the fields. Shall I have one send you an application? ;)

Midgies are pure torture, but at least they go away in the autumn. Mozzies are 365 days a year here. I could easily live w/o any of these wee beasties.

Unknown said...

oh to have someone to clean my house and do all the tedious stuff I hate doing.

Annie said...

Chris and Carey, I think there are many reasons for the lack of reading for pleasure here.

Books are expensive. Reading for pleasure was never something people did.

Even the well-educated we've encountered don't read for pleasure - and they have people to do all the manual labour in their homes.

In the town where we shop - the 2nd largest town after the capitol - there are 2 bookstores. All of them are textbooks for schools.

I think also that people prefer to read in their native language, even though they began learning English at age 8. In our area it is nearly impossible to find books in their language.

Maybe I'll ask some Ugandans.

annie

Sharon said...

Hi Annie

I admire the volunteer work that you and your husband are doing in Uganda.

I am an expat and have a website about expat moving
http://www.expats-moving-and-relocation-guide.com

I like all your posts especially about the cultural differences in Uganda.

I built a page on my site about nonverbal communication in different countries. You can find it in http://www.expats-moving-and-relocation-guide.com/nonverbal-communication.html

I would be honored if you allow me to publish your post about cultural differences in Uganda on my site on
the Your stories web page, In return for a link from my site to your blog.

Looking forward to your response
Sharon

Annie said...

Sharon,

Please add my story to your website and I'll put a link to it on my blog.

annie

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.