Thursday 30 April 2009

A goat.....and a passport....

No....the goat didn't eat a passport.


We have been invited to the farm of our next door neighbour for a big meal tomorrow with his entire family. In Uganda meat is always served when guests are invited. So tomorrow's special course is tied to a tree across the road from our homes. Personally, I like goat meat but I've never seen a live animal prior to consuming it at a meal.




And for totally unrelated news....I have finally got my UK passport!!! I was granted citizenship before we left for Uganda and did not have time to apply for the passport. I was under the impression that I couldn't get a first-time passport outside the UK, but discovered to my delight that I could. Last week we were in Kampala for a meeting so Thursday we went to the British High Commission to submit our applications (Danny needed a renewal). I was asked to return the next morning for the interview as a first-time UK passport applicant. The passports were ready later Monday morning. How's that for efficiency?!
In answer to a question I often get.... NO, I did not give up my US citizenship! I am a dual citizen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can't eat that poor wee goat it's so cute!

Kathleen

Katie said...

Hey there,

You're also with VSO?!! I'm going to Uganda in June to work with Silent Voices, a deaf organization in Bushneyi district. I'd love to chat more over email: kathryn.i.wagner@gmail.com

Thanks,
Katie

Annie said...

Kathleen,
The goat was delicious. Your dad wanted me to take a pic of him eating it but I refused!

Katie,
You'll be Olivia's replacement. We will meet as you'll be in our cluster group! Nice group in Bushenyi and Mbarara.