Sunday 14 June 2009

Update on Doreen, future lawyer

Yesterday we met with Doreen who had just returned from 2 weeks in Kampala. Besides applying to Uganda Christian University she has also applied to Makerere and Kyambogo. She has applied for the law programme at all three as well as several alternate programmes, but her first choice is definitely law. Competition for the law programmes is fierce, so we are crossing our fingers that she's accepted to one of them. From what I've heard Makerere is the largest and best university in Uganda, so if she is accepted to that one her future will be very bright indeed!

While Doreen is waiting for the results she has been devouring most of our books as she is a voracious reader.

Results from the universities are expected the end of June and beginning of July. UCU results are delayed due to the university adding interviews with prospective students instead of simply accepting by exam results.

Danny is busy teaching IT classes (unless the power is out) so we won't be doing any travelling until mid July when my family comes. Since my family is one of Doreen't sponsors we have arranged for her to meet them while they are here.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I've just stumbled across your blog and have enjoyed reading it!

I am in Australia and I have just sponsored a child in Uganda (Kiboga) and wanted to find out more about the country.

Annie said...

Hi Jac. Kudos for sponsoring a child here! There are so many kids with fantastic potential who have no chance to get a proper education due to poverty.

What level of education is your child in Kiboga?

On another topic, we'll be revisiting Australia about a month after we return home to Scotland - will be in Melbourne and Sydney and Tasmania, among other places. Any plans to ever visit Uganda?

Jacqueline said...

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply.

My sponsor child is not in school yet, she's 4. I only got her details last week, so I look forward to finding out more about her and her family.

I haven't travelled much yet, but when I do I will be adding Uganda to my list of places to visit!

I hope you enjoy your visit to Australia!

I've added your blog to my list of 'regular reads'.