Thursday 24 September 2009

Last days


Lwamafa, college principal for our first year, and his wife Jovuline
 Seems like everyone has invited us for a goodbye meal and we've enjoyed them all immensely. We had our leaving do/party at the college yesterday and I felt quite sad to say goodbye. Danny wore his kilt which was cause for many giggles. He gave a lovely speech as well.
I was actually surprised at how sad I felt when I locked the door to our house for the last time. It was especially sad to say goodbye to many of the staff and their families. We will miss them all so very much but will be in touch by email, by my blog and by text messages. Many were nearly in tears when saying goodbye to us and I had to restrain myself from crying myself - which worked except for one time. Danny was also very sad to leave the students, especially the 2nd years.

A second year student



Some second year students prepare to go on teaching practice


Second year students


Some of the friends who gave us a going away dinner



Our dear friend Mushabe

Child of friends


After our leaving do


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Annie, you've obviously loved your time in Africa, and I suspect it will always seem like a "home" to you from now on. It's wonderful that you have such fantastic memories to keep close to your heart, and beautiful pictures to share with all of us. Godspeed on your journey home, and here's hoping that your "re-entry" will be comfortable too!

Hugs,
lynn

Annie said...

Thanks, Lynn. Yes, we will have fantastic memories and will never forget this time here. Lovely people, lovely country.

Tanya said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your pictures.
We still have Samoa (our first overseas posting)firmly in our hearts and are still very much in contact with the many friends we made while on the islands dispite the distance -something which has made the last couple of days (after Samoas tsunami)very difficult. We havent been back yet (we seem to get further and further away geographically!) but we will!

Steven Gee said...

I vividly remember the mixed emotions of saying good bye with the local people. It was really a moment to hardly say good bye in my placement in Tajikistan.