Tuesday 5 February 2008

Wild animals!

This past weekend Danny and I traveled on his motorbike to the town of Bushenyi, about 60km away, to meet with other volunteers (friends). I'm not crazy about riding on a motorbike, but I'm getting used to it. In order for me to be less stressed about riding on a vehicle with nothing between me and the hard road or big trucks or vans, I stick my Ipod in my pocket and play my favourite music. It helps.

Saturday we had a meeting and afterward indulged in food and beer.

Early Sunday morning a group of us headed to Queen Elizabeth National Park for guided chimp tracking. Unfortunately, we didn't see any chimps but did see black and white colubus monkeys and another type of small primate. We also saw many large red, biting ants....one encounter of which Danny would like to forget. The walk took most of the morning and afterward we drove to Mweya Lodge, spotting elephants, warthogs, antelope, buffalo and baboons on the way.

Mweya Lodge is quite expensive but the location is stunning. It overlooks the channel where Lakes George and Edward meet. From the bar and restaurant we spotted a massive elephant, rhinos, and a buffalo stampede. Boat trips through the lakes give a close-up view of the animals on the shore as well as spotting crocodiles. There was no time on this trip, but we plan to return.
http://www.mweyalodge.com/

Queen Elizabeth National Park.......
http://www.uwa.or.ug/queen.html

..........has savanna, swamp, gorge, 10 crater lakes, forest.

There are 95 mammals there including: 10 primate species, jackal, hyena, lion, leopard, antelope, buffalo, elephant, warthog, crocodile, and 610 species of bird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a lovely weekend, Annie....less the motorbike ride. I'm with you on that one!
The photos on the links are incredible.....seems like the sky goes on forever. The lodge sounds like quite the getaway from both your post and the ones in the guest book on the lodge site.
Glad you and Danny had a great time!
Pam

leigh said...

That sounds FAB!

I wanna come!

It's wet, wet, wet, cold and wet here, with a little windy thrown in for good mix.