Tuesday 25 November 2008

Runyankole Language

The language spoken in Ankole, the SW region of Uganda, is Runyankole/Runyankore. Resources are difficult to find and thus far aside from lessons on campus from the college nurse, we only have an old Peace Corps manual (Peace Corps is NOT generous with their manuals so I can't obtain a new one), a very small booklet I found in a bookshop, and the handout from VSO training.

I am compiling a manual which I will upload when complete. I made a recording of our tutor speaking the basic greetings and most common words used. The file is 2+mg.

Several people have emailed me after finding my blog and have asked for assistance in learning Runyankole. I was able to email one person the audio file, but no one else. I will however do so while in the US over the holidays since I'll have access to high speed internet. I also hope to complete the manual while there.

I have created a basic website which allows uploading of PDF files as well as audio. All files will be uploaded there as soon as complete. The url of the site will be posted as soon as this is done.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Annie or should I say Agandi Nyabo!

Please could you mail me this file as well? I would be most grateful. My address is rebecca.e.thorn _at_ googlemail.com

I've been searching all over the net this morning for some resources on Runyankole or Rukiga. I found Berkeley's Comparative Online Bantu Dictionary but the links don't work.

Sounds like you're doing great things in Mbarara. I'll be going out to Rukungiri in Feb for 5 months. Maybe I can pop in and see you when I'm passing through town.
My blog is www.mycunningplan.blogspot.com

Merry Christmas, Wabale Munonga - that's about as much as I know!

Bex

Annie said...

Hope we can meet up Bex! We're outside of Mbarara but get into town on either Saturday or Sunday every week.

Will check your blog.

Merry christmas to you as well. We've just arrived in the US for the holidays.